Friday, December 12, 2014

Emotional Aspects of Essential Oils - Lavender and Marjoram

What is the one smell either terrible or wonderful that immediately takes you to a moment in time?
For me it is the smell of a babies head, that soft and subtle smell in those precious early moments of nursing. Even picturing it in my head evokes the same sensation of that smell. As a former New Yorker, envisioning a summer day by the subway evokes a memory in the same way - though not as pleasant!

The trigger of a smell creates a chemical reaction in our body. Putting us on alert or calming us. The world of essential oils is so incredibly complex. The more you learn, the more you want to learn. Our family's  journey of essential oils stepped into high gear when we learned about the emotional aspects of the oils.

I could wrap my head around the idea of oils effecting my mood, but not effecting my person-hood. That is until I experienced. I encourage everyone reading to research and try themselves.

In the comments of our giveaway we discussed two particular oils. Lavender and Marjoram.
I love the lemony smell of Marjoram. Marjoram's list of possible uses is long, it can support the respiratory and muscular systems in many ways. However, the first time we used it was in fact, to support emotional well-being with one of my children.  According to the fantastic reference guide Emotions & Essential Oils, Marjoram is the "Oil of Connection." 
In terms of my child, we experience challenges that at times make it hard for him to interact with others. He is either social and interactive or fearful of new situations. Marjoram has been very helpful in supporting our family and friend connection.  I also believe this would be very helpful for someone who might need to experience more compassion (in conjunction with geranium). This is a great oil for supporting the feeling of safety.
Lavender! We call it the Swiss Army Knife of Essential Oils. What can't you use it for. We often find ourselves with an empty bottle. It is rare, however, that we use it for calming. Have any idea what some uses might be?
In terms of Lavender's emotional context, it is the "Oil of Communication." The first time I saw the title I was a little confused, how did that connect? But as I read on and revisited some memories it became clear. Lavender comes up for me quite a bit. People would never know that I am an introvert and that it takes significant effort for me to communicate with others. Why? Because I get nervous. Sometimes I do not even know I am nervous! So what does Lavender do? It relaxes us so that we are able to communicate from our heart center.
Cool huh? So now I ask you? Have you ever used an essential oil for it's specific emotional aspect? Or realized one after use?  If not have you used a Flower Essence? And if so which one and for what? What is another oil you would like to know the emotional aspect of?


No comments:

Post a Comment